Learn the foundations of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy in this practical online course for Psychotherapists, Counsellors & Psychologists.
13th – 14th March & 27th-28th March 2023 (1pm to 4.30pm GMT)
12 hours of CPD for £250 (+ 2 x group supervision for FREE)
introductory training course
The WHAT, WHY and HOW of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
ACT integrates the behaviour change tools of CBT and the therapeutic relationship skills of humanistic approaches into an attractive, powerful model for the modern world.
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy isn’t about accepting bad situations; it’s about being present and open to experiences to live the best life possible.
Practical exercises you can teach your clients instantly.
Get Helpful Questions, Worksheets and Experiential exercises.
Hit the ground running with a careful balance of theory and practice.
Does any of this sound like you?
- You are a psychotherapist, counsellor, psychologist or well-being practitioner.
- You help people suffering from mental health problems, including anxiety, depression and low self-esteem.
- You’ve heard of ACT and want to learn a clear, practical way to use it in your clinical work.
If you answered yes, then this is the course for you.
What you will learn
The ACT Basics course has a clear set of educational objectives designed to get you using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy from day one.
Take your first steps with ACT
- Clearly describe the ACT Model to clients to engage them quickly in behaviour change.
- Engage clients in an alternative approach to their problems that make life more fulfilling.
- Set clients tasks to practice being aware of when unhelpful habits emerge so they can stop making things worse.
Shape new behaviour & Habits
- Teach clients exercises to be observers and choosers to side-step the traps of unhelpful thinking patterns.
- Show clients how to establish new routines that sustain better practices.
- Encourage clients to track the impact of recent activity.
Strengthen Psychological Skills
- Teach clients to practice self-acceptance using compassionate perspective-taking techniques.
- Teach clients exercises that take power out of unhelpful thinking patterns.
Find Balance & Keep Improving
- Teach clients how to balance feeling overwhelmed and shutting down through valued-life directions.
- Show clients how to stretch their capacity for accepting unwanted experiences so they can carry them while maintaining values-based commitments.
- Develop a Deliberate Practice Plan to improve your ACT skills incrementally.
About the trainer
- Jim Lucas is an ACBS Peer-reviewed ACT Trainer who has taught 100s professionals how to integrate ACT into their clinical work.
- Jim is a BABCP Accredited CBT Practitioner and Supervisor. He has delivered many workshops at BABCP national conferences.
- He runs an online community for ACT Practitioners who want to learn Acceptance and Commitment Therapy by practising it, sharing ideas and discovering as much as possible to become highly skilled in the ACT approach.
FREE Group Supervision
Many of us go on training courses not having access to ongoing specialist supervision. You can quickly feel stuck and lose confidence without the chance to discuss your practice, ask questions, and get feedback.
When you register for this course, you’ll have two group supervision sessions. The first session will take place between parts one and two. The second supervision session will happen four weeks after parts three and four.
On completion of the course and supervision, you will receive a CPD Certificate attesting to the fact that you completed continuing professional development.
When is it?
Parts One and Two
13th-14th March 2023. From 1 pm to 4.30 pm GMT / 8 am ET. Check your local time here.
Parts Three and Four
27th-28th March 2023. From 1 pm to 4.30 pm GMT / 8 am ET.
Total Value = Over £500!
how much does it cost?
The full price is £250
Registration gets you access to Parts 1-4. It includes course materials, 2 x group supervision sessions and a live recording available for eight weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is your refund and cancellation policy?
We know life doesn’t always go to plan. Openforwards Ltd will offer a full refund to registrants of live workshops and courses who cancel their registration up to 14 days before the start date, minus an administrative fee of £10. We do not offer refunds for cancellations made less than 14 days before the event’s start date. Please email email@example.com to cancel your order.
Q: Will I receive a certificate confirming the number of CPD hours?
Yes. We will send you a certificate outlining the course title, attendance date and the number of CPD hours. If you cannot attend the live event, we will still issue a certificate because you will have access to the video recording and course materials.
Q: Do I need to attend all parts?
Yes. You are buying access to all parts of the course. To guarantee the best learning experience, we recommend you attend every live session. You will have access to the training recording for eight weeks after completion.
Q: Do you offer any discounted rates?
Yes. You can get a discount if you are a student in full-time education, if you are employed and on a low income, or if you reside in a low or middle-income country (LIMC). Check the latest list from the World Bank. To request a discount, please email firstname.lastname@example.org detailing the following: the course title, date, country of residence and reason for discount (student, low-income UK, or reside in LIMC).
Q: How do I access the event or recording?
We will send you a ZOOM link nearer the time of the course. Our events require a stable internet connection using a microphone and camera. We encourage you to find a quiet place where you can participate undisturbed. We ask that you arrive with your camera turned on and keep it on as much as possible. There will be times in the training when we come together as a group. Please ensure you turn your camera on for these occasions.
We will send you a link to the event recording within 48 hours of the event’s end. You can watch the recording, but you cannot download it. Download or screen captures are not permitted.
Q: How do I use ZOOM?
We have created some ZOOM Event Guidelines to help you navigate the platform and get the most from your experience. Please download, and read them before the event and refer to them for guidance.
Q: How can my employer pay for me?
To complete payment, we will need to invoice your employer. Please email us at email@example.com outlining the following:
- Course Title and date.
- Invoicing organisation’s name, address and approver name.
- Email address to send the invoice.
- The phone number for the invoicing department.
- Purchase Order Number (NHS) or Invoicing Reference
We require payment within 30 days of the invoice date.
Are you ready?
ACT Basic (12 hours CPD & 2 x Group Supervision Sessions)
13th-14th March & 27th-28th March 2023 1 pm to 4.30 pm GMT.