Can you imagine doing a month’s worth of therapy in just one day?
Intensive EMDR Therapy
‘Intensive EMDR Therapy’ offers a faster, more profound, cost-effective approach to healing from difficult life experiences, overcoming your fears for the future, or performance enhancement. EMDR treatment is like giving your brain a deep clean, and an intensive gives you a concentrated dose.
Depending on the complexity, you can leave feeling relieved or make significant progress on your journey. You can then be free to focus on building your most fulfilling and meaningful life.
What are EMDR Intensives?
If you’re not already familiar with EMDR, you can learn more about it here.
EMDR Intensives are one of the most exciting, cutting-edge developments in psychotherapy. They provide the space and support to clear out specific complaints from start to finish or to work on deep healing of more complex issues.
Are you looking to enhance your performance? An EMDR Intensive will give you a rapid performance enhancement booster to remove any mental blocks and optimize your implementation.
Why choose an Intensive?
EMDR Intensives are a great option if:
- Your time is of the essence. You want relief sooner rather than later. You are a busy person who needs to resolve your difficulties quickly to focus on your future, and weekly appointments are not workable.
- You are ready to process past experiences deeply and profoundly. Longer intensives provide you with the space and holding to move through a lot of deeply held material, which is especially helpful for working with difficult early life experiences and complex trauma, including experiences before your explicit memory.
- You want a cost-effective option. Intensives can be less costly because you save around 20 minutes of each hour spent checking in and closing down every weekly session. You also stay in the groove of processing for longer and do not get disrupted by the life events that come up each week. Over a half day saves you an hour or even more.
- You’re interested in adjunct EMDR. You are already working well with another therapist in a weekly format, but you notice some something feels ‘stuck’. We can work with your therapist to agree on a focused piece of work to shift the blocks so that you can get back to making progress with them.
Intensive EMDR Therapy in Birmingham
We offer Intensives ranging from a half day to 3 full days, with your therapist’s undivided attention. In a programme tailored to your individual needs, we will combine skills training to build your inner resources with a deep dive into using EMDR to process memories and fears about the future.
With other types of therapy, it’s crucial to have a week or so between sessions to digest the material and implement learning, but there isn’t always the same need for this with EMDR. It means you can keep going and complete a lot more work in one go.
What sort of problems can you treat with an EMDR Intensive?
A half-day Intensive is excellent for focusing on a single event/scenario or performance enhancement. A 1-3 day Intensive is best for working through more material or significant issues.
We offer a three-day life Re-Set’ Intensive for a comprehensive treatment going from your earliest experiences as a child up to your present circumstances and beyond to your future.
An Intensive may clear out one area of your experience. Alternatively, you can undertake multiple Intensives to address different parts of your experience.
What’s the evidence that EMDR Intensives work?
EMDR is a well-established, gold standard, evidence-based therapy for multiple issues, including trauma, anxiety, and much more. The research for delivering intensive EMDR is continuing to grow and exciting for all involved. Outcome studies show that intensive EMDR produced the same (possibly better) results as weekly delivery – but faster.
Drop-out rates are lower than weekly EMDR, suggesting that the process is more manageable. It can also be cost-effective, saving on the total sessions necessary and returning you to full functioning sooner.
Is an Intensive right for me?
Doing intensive work is an attractive option if you’re in a stable position in your life, with good coping resources/support networks, and you’re ready to do this for yourself.
It does require a commitment from you in terms of your energy and the higher cost upfront. While some people worry about how tiring it might be, we find it’s cathartic and easier than you might expect. We take lots of breaks and pace work depending on your needs.
As we do not offer residential treatment, our EMDR Intensives are generally not suitable if:
- Your circumstances are unsettled,
- You have few coping resources or support networks,
- You experience a lot of current dissociation.
You may require some stabilization work first, and then you can return to the idea of an Intensive at a later date.